Becoming an eye, tissue, and organ donor in Minnesota is easy.
- Check “donor” on your driver’s license or state ID card.
- Sign up on your state donation registry: Minnesota residents, North Dakota residents, Wisconsin residents.
- Sign a donor card in front of your family or other witnesses.
- Complete a health care directive and give copies to your family, physicians, and hospital.
- Sign up when you apply for a Minnesota hunting or fishing license.
Lions Gift of Sight believes each person has the ability and the right to make his or her own informed decision about eye donation. However, donor family involvement remains essential to carrying out eye donation, and the eye bank will continue to support eye donor families throughout the donation process.
Please note: Lions Gift of Sight is no longer the only organization procuring eyes and corneas in Minnesota. If you wish your eye donation to be handled by Lions Gift of Sight, your local nonprofit eye bank, please consider adding the stipulation to your health care directive. For example:
I would like my eyes or corneas to be donated to Lions Gift of Sight (formerly Minnesota Lions Eye Bank). My wishes include the recovery, processing, and distributing of my donated eye tissue.
Helpful health care directive information can be found on the University of Minnesota Anatomy Bequest Program website.
Thank you for supporting donation and the gift of sight!